Amnesty International Thursday called on the International Football Association “FIFA” to compensate for at least $ 440 million for foreign workers who were “abused” in Qatar, the host country for the 2022 World Cup and accused of not respecting their rights adequately. Several human rights groups accuse Qatar of exploiting foreign workers, especially those working in facilities and stadiums for the World Cup. However, Doha has repeatedly denied the accusations against it, and announced several reforms since it was chosen to organize the finals.
After accusations leveled at the Gulf state of not respecting their rights, Amnesty International called on Thursday, International Football Association “FIFA” to pay $440 million in compensation to foreign workers who were “mistreated” in Diameter While participating in the construction of stadiums World Cup 2022.
The human rights organization’s request, backed by other human rights organizations, follows repeated criticism of the slowness of the world football regulator to respond to poor working conditions for workers who have flocked to construction sites linked to the World Cup in the Gulf state.
Amnesty said that FIFA should allocate at least $440 million to reparations for the damages caused to hundreds of thousands of migrant workers who were victims of human rights abuses in Qatar during the preparations for the 2022 World Cup.
According to the non-governmental organization, this amount, which is equivalent to the allocations allocated to the 32 teams participating in the World Cup, is the “necessary minimum” to compensate workers and protect them from future violations.
The organization cited in particular unpaid wages, payment of “illegal” and “exorbitant” recruitment fees, as well as damages from work accidents.
She added that since 2010, when FIFA awarded Qatar the honor of hosting the 2022 World Cup, there had been a “chain of violations” that spoiled preparations without the FIFA calling for “the slightest improvement in working conditions.”
She pointed out that the proposed amount is only “a small part” of the six billion dollars that FIFA will earn from the next World Cup.
In contrast, Amnesty International welcomed the social reforms introduced by Qatar since 2018 and the improvement of conditions at the official sites of the World Cup, which began in 2014.
At the same time, however, she pointed out that those laws are not always respected and violations continue. The process of granting Qatar the hosting of the World Cup since 2010 was accompanied by allegations of corruption and criticism of the Gulf state’s human rights record.
The London-based human rights organization urged Swiss-Italian FIFA President Gianni Infantino to “work with Qatar to develop a comprehensive compensation program, with the participation of workers, unions, the International Labor Organization and civil society.”
In response to the human rights organization’s statement, FIFA said in a comment received by Agence France-Presse that the projects referred to by Amnesty International “include a wide range of public infrastructure that has been built since 2010 (in Qatar) and is not necessarily linked to the FIFA World Cup.”
Several human rights groups accuse Qatar of exploiting foreign workers, especially those working in facilities and stadiums for the World Cup. However, Doha has repeatedly denied the accusations against it, and announced several reforms since it was chosen to organize the finals.
Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy said in response to Amnesty that it “worked tirelessly to ensure that the rights of every worker involved in FIFA World Cup projects in Qatar are respected through dedicated teams of worker welfare experts, and significant improvements have been made in the standard of accommodation, health and care.” .
#Qatar #Amnesty #International #calls #FIFA #pay #million #compensation #foreign #workers #stadiums